The art of staging or acting plays.
- The performance must be a minimum of three (3) minutes and maximum of five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the minimum and maximum time requirements are subject to point deduction and/or disqualification.)
- The selection must be of literate quality.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes, makeup, and props are optional, but not required.
Note: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May. No materials or copies will be accepted at the National Competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
- Projection (10 pts)
- Structure (10pts)
Does the performance have transitions/beats and a clear beginning, middle, climax, and end?
- Memorization (10 pts)
- Movement (10 pts)
Is the blocking clear and does the actor commit to and follow through with his/her movements and gestures?
- Emotional Connection and Honesty (10pts)
Are you really "selling" that you are becoming this character or are you simply "play-acting" ?
- Imagination and Creativity (15pts)
Are you bringing something different to the piece or are you just reciting lines?
- Stage Presence (10pts)
- Character Work (10pts)
- Specificity of Acting Choices (10pts)
Clear pursuit of Actions/Objectives
- Creation of the Space (5pts)
Click Here to Submit an Online Application
Click Here to Download the Requirements and Judging Criteria for all ACT-SO Categories.