Music Vocal / Classical
The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds of the late 18th and 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
- Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
- Musical accompaniment can be provided by the contestant on a standard cassette tape. The cassette/CD tape should contain only the instrumental version of the song. Contestants are encouraged to provide a backup tape.
- Contestants requesting accompaniment must submit sheet music with their registration packet.
- Contestants must present six copies of the sheet music to the judges at the time of competition.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes are not required.
Note: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May. No materials or copies will be accepted at the National Competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
- Choice of Music (10 pts)
- Diction (25 pts)
- Correctness of pronunciation
- Interpretation (10 pts)
- Historically appropriate style
- Intonation (10 pts)
- Stage presence (10 pts)
- Technique (10 pts)
- Tone quality (25 pts)
- Beauty of sound
Click Here to Submit an Online Application
Click Here to Download the Requirements and Judging Criteria for all ACT-SO Categories.