Music Vocal / Contemporary
The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds to produce music with the tones of the present.
- Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
- Musical accompaniment can be provided by the contestant on a standard cassette tape or CD. The cassette tape or CD should contain only the instrumental version of the song. Contestants are encouraged to provide a backup tape.
- Piano accompaniment is available only if the contestant has provided and brings his/her own sheet music.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes are not permitted.
- Microphones are permitted and will be provided.
- Examples of contemporary music are Broadway, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Blues, Soul and Country and Western.
Note: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May. No materials or copies will be accepted at the National Competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
- Choice of Music (15 pts)
- Matched to vocal ability
- Interpretation (20 pts)
- Stage presence (15 pts)
- Comfort on and control of stage
- Rapport with audience
- Technique (25 pts)
- Tone quality (25 pts)
- Beauty of sound
- Intonation and Diction
Click Here to Submit an Online Application
Click Here to Download the Requirements and Judging Criteria for all ACT-SO Categories.