The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds of the late 18th and 19th
centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
- Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not
adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
- Competitors should not perform to a CD. Contestants requesting piano accompaniment must submit sheet music and requests for accompaniment by May 8, 2020. Sheet music is required at the time of the request. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.
- Contestants must submit six (6) copies of their sheet music.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes are not required.
- Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
- The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano.
NOTE: The deadline for submission of national registration documents is May 15, 2020.. No
materials or copies will be accepted after that time or at the National Competition. Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Choice of Music (10)
- Diction (25)
➢ Correctness of pronunciation
- Interpretation (10)
➢ Historically appropriate style
- Intonation (10)
- Stage presence (10)
- Technique (10)
- Tone quality (25)
➢ Beauty of sound